I suck at reading! I can’t ready very fast and I get distracted whilst reading and have to read the same part multiple times. .. But I still manage to read a lot. Here are a few tricks for reading a lot with minimal effort.
The Switch method:
The switch method has allowed me to read 5x more as I would otherwise. It’s pretty simple but first of all you need to get these tools for it.
Always have at least 2 out of 3 of these Tools with you!
- Actual printed books – It’s so refreshing to get out of the digital realm and read a printed version for a change. You can order a batch from Amazon. Get some light thin books and heavier hardcovers.
- Download audible on your phone and computer and get the same books as audio versions (also different books). + Headphones
- Get a kindle reader, Ipad or any other electronic reader
Types of books:
Get different types of books on all kinds of topics. The point is to have a lot of variety.
- Books on your favorite subject.
- Books on something you want to learn.
- Technical books
- Biography books
OK, now that you have the right tools. Here’s the method I use:
Switch between different methods of consuming, different books and different topics. Sometimes our brain gets really bored by one specific thing and then starts getting distracted by ANYTHING else.This is when you Switch. Kind of like if you would just eat bread with nothing else you would soon get full of it, even nauseated. But if you switch to a sweet fruit your body would happily accept more food. So what you do is:
- If you get bored of a book – Switch to another book
- If you get bored of reading – Switch to listening
- If you get bored of a topic – Switch topic
- If you get bored of Non-Fiction – Switch to Fiction
- If you get tired of your screen – Switch to a printed book
Sure, The Switch Method sounds effective but getting bored isn’t my problem. I barely have enough time to even start reading!?
Finding the time to read a book might seem impossible but here are a few suggestions of times and places it can be done:
- Read while eating breakfast
- Listen to an audio book in the car
- Listen to an audio book on a walk
- Read while waiting in line.
- Read while waiting for the customer service agent on the phone.
- Before you go to sleep
- Instead of watching TV
- at The DMV
- at work
- in the train
- on a Recess
- Coffee shop
- Lunch time
- While doing manual labor
- While doing housework
- While Masturbating…
Well you know what I mean. there are a lot of smaller time blocks in your day that you don’t utilize correctly. Just bring the tools with you anywhere you go. and use time effectively.
Obligation to the Author:
Here is something that took me a long time to learn and fully understand.
You have NO obligation to read every words or even every page of the book! Your only objective is to get the necessary information from the book into your brain!
Books are usually crammed with “Filler” content that doesn’t say much but fills the book and makes it seem longer and thus a better buy. So, if you can find the few really good points the author makes… that’s it. You’ve read the book. Mission Complete.
The other thing is that you can always come back and read the book or part of if again if need be. There is NO need to read every word of it the first time.
Thanks for checking out my methods. Now read and get smart. A wise man once said:
” Knowledge is power and power is Hilarious”
You can check out my book recommendation and the books that I’m reading now Here!